Residents who have a confirmed room assignment can submit a room change request if they are wanting to change their assignment. Preference for room change requests depends on room availability, the reason for the request, and the date the request is received.
Instructions for Submitting and Request
PRIOR to the Start of the Semester
*This process is available prior to the start of the Fall semester for all students, and prior to the start of the Spring semester for new students who do not currently have a room assignment for Fall.
You must have a housing assignment for the upcoming semester.
Submit your top 3 preferred room types via your Housing Portal.
Specific Room Number and/or Specific Housemates is optional to request.
If there are multiple residents involved in a request, all residents must complete the room change request separately.
Once our staff receives your request, your name will be added to the room change waitlist. If space becomes available and we are able to move you, we will notify you via your SSU email.
Room Change Requests will be considered up until two weeks before move-in.
Request DURING the Semester
Room Change Requests will not be considered until two weeks after the start of the semester.
Submit request via your Housing Portal.
The request will be forwarded to the applicable Area Coordinator for Review.
In some instances, room changes for lifestyle differences, roommate conflicts, and other requests may require intervention from REACH staff with potential agreements being established.
If plans change and the student decides not to change rooms, they will need to email the REACH Office to inform them of this decision right away.
If the room change is approved, then the resident will be given one or more vacancies to check out. The resident will meet the potential roommate (if applicable) and one or more housemates of the vacancies. The student will notify the REACH Office of the desired room no later than 11:00 a.m. Thursday of that week.
The resident will come in Friday after 1:30 p.m. to the REACH Office in Zinfandel Village to have their SSU Seawolf ID encoded with the new room so they can move over the weekend.
The resident will be issued a temporary card for the old room which must be returned to the REACH Office the following Monday.
End of Fall Semester Room Change Request
Residents interested in changing their assignment for the Spring semester will have the opportunity to submit an “End of Semester Room Change Request” through the Housing Portal.
Requests will be accepted through December 7, 2022. If you miss the deadline to request a room change for the spring semester, your next opportunity will be two weeks after the spring semester has begun. To have the best chance at getting your requested accommodation, we suggest completing the form sooner than later. The longer you wait may reduce your chances of getting a specific accommodation.
Available rooms for Spring 2023 will be published November 18 (not all available inventory will be published). If the student is not looking for a specific room, they can make a generic request based on room type. Please review the list of rooms to see when the room is available.
It is the student's responsibility to know the cost for the different room types. Moving to a different room type may increase your Spring rent expenses (i.e. moving from a suite double to a suite single or from a Cabernet double to a Sauvignon double). Likewise, your Spring rent may decrease depending on where you are moving from and to. Keep in mind that switching to a different living area may require your participating in certain activities.
Please read the steps below to complete the process:
- Submit an online room change request through your Housing Portal. The form will be available starting Monday, November 21, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. Once you have logged in to the Housing Portal, you will click on the "Room Change Request" link to access the form.
- Review Available Rooms (optional): We encourage residents to visit the rooms and meet the current roommates prior to requesting a particular room. Please be considerate when going to available rooms are residents are preparing for finals.
- Make sure to read all the information on the screens before submitting your request.
- When submitting your information, you will be able to request a specific room. This does not guarantee your request, however, it indicates that you are interested in that bedspace. You will receive an email confirmation that we have received your request within 2 business days.
- Depending on the reason for the move, it may be necessary for your Area Coordinator to review your request. The Area Coordinator may further recommend meeting with you prior to approving a room change.
- Students selecting a room that is currently available will work with REACH to schedule when to move. You may be required to move prior to finals.
- Students selecting a room that is available starting January 20 will be required to remove all their belongings from their old room at the end of the semester, no later than 11:00 a.m. on December 17, 2022.
- Students registered to stay on campus during Winter Break (January 2) will coordinate their move with REACH once their new room is available. We recommend having all your items packed and ready to move, as you will only have 3 days in which to move.
- The resident will be provided with information and instructions on when to move and how to gain access to the new space. Please check your SSU email for instructions. Failure to read the information timely may result in you not being able to move.