Residents are able to stay in their room assignment during the breaks on campus (see below) at no additional cost. Residents may leave their personal belongings in their room; however, we suggest taking anything you consider high value with you. Please make sure all windows and doors are locked and secured to avoid the possibility of theft during the break. Residents will need to log onto the Housing Portal to register for the time they will be remaining on campus.
Fall Break Dates - Wednesday, November 24, 2021 - Saturday, November 28, 2021
*All University offices will be closed Thursday, November 25 and Friday, November 26. On-campus housing will remain open and available. Meal plans are not available. Proposed schedule for Culinary Services Venues: The Kitchens: closes 2:00 pm November 24 and reopens at 3:00 pm November 28. SIP: closes November 24 - November 28.
Winter Break Dates - Saturday, December 11, 2021 - Thursday, January 20, 2022
*Most University offices will have normal business hours. REACH encourages residents who will be leaving campus for the winter break to vacate 24 hours after their last final but no later than 11:00 am on December 11. REACH staff will be monitoring who is still on campus and who has not registered to remain on campus past December 11. December 24 - January 1 the residential community is closed; no residents are permitted to be on campus and on-campus housing is not available. Proposed schedule for Culinary Services Venues: The Kitchens: closes 7:00 pm December 10 and reopens at 9:00 am January 21. SIP closes 2:00 pm December 9 and reopens January 18.
Spring Break Dates - Monday, March 21, 2022 - Friday, March 25, 2022
*Most University offices will have normal business hours. On-campus housing will remain open and available.
Fall, Winter, and Spring Break FAQ
- Door access does not change for residents who register for break, allowing residents to come and go as they please.
- Meal Plans are not available during the break. Please check the Culinary Services website to see what dining venues are available (if any) during the break.
- REACH staff is available during the break. Residents will have access to the On Call RA for their village.
- REACH Main Office is open Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. The office will be closed December 24, 2021 and will reopen on January 3, 2022.
- All Housing Regulations remain in effect.
- Zinfandel Mail Room
- The Mail Room is closed November 25, 2021 - November 26, 2021. The mail room will reopen on November 27, 2021 10am - 2pm, and will resume normal hours November 29, 2021.
- The Mail Room has special hours for the winter:
- 11/30 - 12/10 - Open 10:00 am - 8:00 pm, Monday - Friday
- 12/11 - Closed
- 12/13 - 12/23 - Open 10:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday
- 12/18 - Closed
- 1/3 - 1/20 - Open 10:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday
On January 21, the mailroom will resume with normal business hours of 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, Monday through Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturdays.
Residents Responsibility Prior to Break:
- Clean residence (dust, vacuum, clean out fridge and freezer, wash and put away dishes, and clean bathroom). Please take the time to clean your residence regularly, this will help with unwanted pests.
- Take out all trash and recycling and dispose of properly in the correct receptacle.
- Keep vacant furniture assembled and accessible, as well as all storage and surface areas clean and empty, at all times in case a new resident is assigned to that space. Furniture that is dismantled or a room that is unkempt will be addressed by Facilities Management and the resident(s) will be charged.
- Failure to restore a vacant space after REACH makes a request may result in a housing sanction and a daily rent rate penalty for occupying the additional space.
Inspections Over the Breaks
It is common for residences to be inspected over the breaks by the Residential Education and Campus Housing (REACH) staff and Facilities Management, regardless if there is a vacancy in the room or if the room is occupied. The purpose for the inspection is to check for any possible damages that have occurred during the semester which have not been reported. Cleanliness of the residence will also be inspected.
Residences that have damages or cleaning needs will be assessed a charge and Facilities Management will repair the damage or clean the space. Any visible policy violations will be forwarded to the REACH Office.
How do I properly check out of my assignment if I won't be back?
Remember, your license agreement is for the entire year, and residents are obligated to that agreement unless you have been granted a release. Please see our Cancellation page for more information, or contact the REACH Office at 707-664-2541.